Thursday, February 16, 2012

All I Wanna Be Is 21

August: Here lately I've noticed that everyone around me is much older than me. My roommates are the ages of  20 (turning 21 soon), 20 (turning 21 soon), and 21 (turning 22 soon). Two of my best friends (including Jon) are already 20 years old, and my other friend is my age of 19 but will be twenty two months before me. So with a personal level of friends, I am the youngest. Out of all my co-workers, I am definitely the youngest server out of all. I can't complain too much though...I do have my whole life ahead of me and I'm in no rush to get old. But I do however, wish I could hurry up and be 21. Now I don't wish to go out every night and party and get drunk all the time, but I do like the freedom of drinking whenever I please and can have the right to order a nice Budweiser draft at dinner one night. The thought of this makes me eager for time to pass by, especially when my friend from work is always wanting to drink with me.

Jon: Mostly due to the fact I'm older then August (I will be 21 in October) my urge for drinking is greatly diminished when compared to his. And as the majority of my friends are younger than me, I'll be far less likely to drink socially. My only desire is not for the alcohol itself, but the freedom of being able to cosume it whenever I desire.I've mostly outgrown the teenage desires my young co-blogger is so consumed by when summer finally arrives.

August: Now Jon, I realize that you are already almost of age and that you do not really care for drinking when it comes to the time, but you have to realize that I am surrounded by older people all the time. For instance, my Russian friend at work again, he always asks me to go out and drink with him but forgets I'm not old enough. So what does he do? He brings a bottle of Crown and fills our to-go cups up with coke and mixes us a drink on our break on our double shifts. Now I know that is probably not the smartest thing to do, but I can't argue. And it gets me in a good mood whenever I go inside for night shift. But Jon, my "teenage" desire to drink as you say is not as desirable as you think. I am honestly not much of a drinker, I just want to fit in with all of the older guys!


Jon: Yes your right I am almost of age, and with age comes experience. So what your saying is you really have no desire for drinking alcoholic beverages, you just give into peer pressure like a seventh grade girl at a middle school dance,correct? And him being a good friend should have no relevance in saying no to drinking on a job, where you serve children. It's time for you to deal with your insecurities and refuse or you will likely end up being a loser, so to speak.

August: Okay bud...let me rephrase my last statements. I'm not drinking and getting tipsy on the job, it's like maybe a little buzz. And yeah your right, I may give into peer pressure easily but do not compare me to a seventh grade girl at the middle school dance. You sound like the damn chaperone in the corner of the dancefloor making sure there's no PDA. And my good friend is a very good influence thank you very much, I do not have insecurities. The point of this whole thing was to explain myself of feeling like the youngest sometimes, I just wanted to be old enough to do whatever I wanted.

Jon: I may be the chaperone, but it doesn't mean I'm wrong, you cave under the slightest peer pressure like a fat girl on Prom Night. And I never said he wasn't a good friend, just that when your 21, you will likely be peer pressured by younger coworkers into doing the same, becoming the bad influence yourself.

August: Alright, I'm done with this...I just wanted to get a point across I guess. Thanks for the criticism.

Who do you agree with more?? Comment!

8 comments:

  1. August, as your grandfather I am concerned about your thinking when it comes to drinking. First, I hope none of your managers see this blog. Yes, it is something the majority of young people get pressured into doing. Your little buzz before work could be the start of something you may regret later on. I have to agree with Jon on this. You don't need the "buzz". When you turn 21 and legal, maybe an after work drink (one) or a party. Be careful and think. Yes it feels good but your life can go down hill. And, don't say it can't happen to me. I have been there, done it and to this day regret it. If you would like to talk more, I am here. Be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you two just going to make fun of each other on this blog? i hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. also, i'd like to add that being 21 will probably be like being 18 again, you're excited to have a few more freedoms for a while, and then it really doesnt make a difference and becomes just as boring as any other age

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon:

    And the first round is mine.

    And Mark that will be the general tone, as we're both of differing opinons on almost of every subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! "you just give into peer pressure like a seventh grade girl"?...offensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon:

      I apologize to you and all seventh grade who might come across our little blog.

      Delete
    2. Jon:

      No thank you! For being a part of the movement.

      Delete